Excerpts from a group interview with Shahrukh Khan last evening.
King of Romance?
- SRK: Honestly, I think acting is my forte. I think this is oversimplification – five out of the 75 films that I have done have been romantic. They have done well, so have the other ones.
Jab Tak Hai Jaan is a modern take on love
- SRK: Yashji wanted to make love stories. He said that we have had enough of these fighting films. I believed in him…… (with this film) he said he wanted to make a simple yet complicated film on human relations. It is a very modern interpretation (of love). (But) I think love remains the same
His definition of ‘true love’
- SRK: You should sit with who you love… you don’t need anything else… beach, candle, a car or anything. When you love someone, you don’t need anything else. The fact that you do need other things means that you don’t love that person,” said the actor who is happily married to Gauri.
On his larger-than-life screen persona
- SRK: You will only know who I am from the impression you make of me from my films. You will never get to know how I really am because you don’t know me, neither do you spend time with me. And my larger than life image is so big that if I romance well, you will feel that I am a romantic. My image is so big already that whatever you think of me will be based on your perception of me from my films.
More than a brand, just an actor
- SRK: I feel that more than the brand, I just try to enjoy my acting. I have been enjoying it since 20 years. I don’t think I will stop soon. Till the time I get happiness, I will do it. Very few people get the chance of doing what they want to do, and very few get the chance of doing new things every day. Sometimes I am romantic, sometimes I am dancing, fighting…going to new places….so I cherish these moments. I get excited and this shows on screen. Whatever role you give me, I will make it out to be something. It is like a challenge to me when I can add something.