The tweets that caused the uproar
- “Supposedly India’s ‘LEADING’ newspaper and this is ‘NEWS’!!?? “
- “YES!I am a Woman.I have breasts AND a cleavage! You got a problem!!??
- “Dont talk about Woman’s Empowerment when YOU don’t know how to RESPECT Women!”
Reactions from film industry and leading journalists
- Homi Adajania: we just slam ourselves back into the dark ages! Reputed channels inciting regressive shit. What are they thinking?! Sad!
- Saqib Saleem: Its a shame that this is what we do in the name of journalism.. More power to you @deepikapadukone ..
- SOPHIE CHOUDRY: It’s a compliment! You look so great that we want to make sure everyone knew! :)” What? Seriously?! Sick!
- Ileana D’Cruz: @deepikapadukone absolutely disgusting that this is what they choose to write about! Good on you for speaking up against this bullshit! Xxx
- Huma Qureshi: More power to @deepikapadukone :-) dats how u shut them upppp
Fans come out in support and trend #IStandWithDeepikaPadukone, which becomes the top trend in India
- How can #TOI disrespect a woman, and call it a COMPLIMENT? Shameless. @deepikapadukone Deserves an apology!
- To the ones who made the #cleavage #news at #TOI. Did you really think that was in good taste? #Pathetic
- Finally someone is talking plain, straight and real women right! shameless TOI is still not apologizing!!
- Yea I’m a woman & I’ve gt breasts & cleavage and nobody shud hav problem wid dat!! U go girl!!
Even the Twitter handle of Aam Aadmi Party joined in to support Deepika
- RT if you agree that level of journalism has fallen quite a lot in India in recent times. #IStandWithDeepikaPadukone”