English Vinglish has exceeded expectations in it’s first week, after a slow start on it’s opening day of release. The Sridevi starrer showed good growth in business on Saturday, Sunday and held up well on the crucial Monday.
As per early estimates, the film has collected approx Rs 20 crores in Week 1. Day-wise breakdown below
- Day 1 Friday – 2.25 crores
- Day 2 Saturday – 4.5 crores
- Day 3 Sunday – 5.75 crores
- First Weekend – 12.5 crores
- Day 4 Monday – 2 crores
- Day 5 Tuesday – 1.9 crores
- Day 6 Wednesday – 1.75 crores
- Day 7 Thursday – 1.5 crores
- First Week Total – 19.65 crores
In comparison, Kahaani which also had a similar opening and did around 13 crores of business in it’s first weekend, managed 23 crores in Week 1.
For English Vinglish, the next couple of days will decide if the film can cross the 30-32 crore mark and achieve HIT status. It competes against four new releases this week – Rani Mukherji’s Aiyyaa, SS Rajamouli’s Makkhi, Chittagong and Ram Gopal Varma’s Bhoot Returns.