Housefull 2 has opened to a spectacular response at the box-office, and the credit for the film’s success – almost entirely has gone to Akshay Kumar. Yes, he does have a huge fan-following at both multiplexes and single-screens, but most of his releases in 2011 didn’t exactly set the box-office on fire.
There are several factors that helped the film get a bumper opening. One, Housefull is a popular brand, much like the Golmaal series of films. Two, both Sajid Khan films Heyy Babyy and Housefull 1 were successful at the box-office. Three, there are atleast 4 other stars in Housefull 2 who have a following of their own.
- John Abraham – He may not be a superstar who can command a good initial with solo-films, but John has a HUGE fan-following with the youngsters, especially the fairer sex. Infact, John is mobbed almost anywhere he goes in India.
- Jacqueline Fernandes – Fresh from the super-success of Murder 2, Jacqueline too has a reasonably big following with the masses.
- Asin – She’s a household name down south and has played the female lead in blockbuster hits like Ghajini and Ready.
- Ritesh Deshmukh – Last film Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya, where he played the only male lead was a hit.
- Rishi Kapoor – He may not be a big star today, but Rishi’s performance in Agneepath received tremendous appreciation.
What do you think? Does Akshay Kumar deserve all the credit for Housefull 2? Will Rowdy Rathore open to a similar response? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.