In what will be a weekly feature, Joginder Tuteja answers some questions from our readers.
1. Don’t you think that opening day and weekend for Kareena Kapoor’s ‘Heroine’ is highest for a women centric film? In ‘The Dirty Picture’, there was so much of skin show while Emraan Hashmi was the hero who is darling of masses – (Daljeet Panesar)
- Yes, ‘Heroine’ did take the best opening day and weekend for a female centric film. However comparison should be made with Vidya Balan’s ‘Kahaani’ which was not just appreciated far more, it also went on to sustain for many more weeks to come and collected much better lifetime collections. You are right about ‘The Dirty Picture’. Though it is being credited as a female centric film, the fact remains that Emraan Hashmi had a huge contributing role to play in it’s opening as well as sustaining strength.
2. In this era of multiplexes, how would movies like Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and and Gadar-Ek Prem Katha fared if released today? – (Gaurav Handa)
- Each of these films would have been straight forward blockbusters. In fact not just would they have revived the business of many a single screen, a film like Gadar-Ek Prem Katha would have created records for an action film. It wouldn’t have been surprising to see it even break ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ record, provided Sunny’s star power was similar, since it was a much better film too.
3. When will ‘Dabangg 2‘ theatrical trailer or teaser release? And will Salman Khan have Eid release next year or not – (Amit kumar)
- Work on the trailer of ‘Dabangg 2’ is currently in progress. There is no definite date out yet since Arbaaz Khan is busy wrapping up the film’s principal shoot which is expected to be over by mid-October. Towards end of this month, the theatrical promo is expected to be out. Meanwhile Salman Khan will definitely have an Eid release. It could be the ‘Sher Khan’ or another film by Sohail Khan and if that doesn’t happen then may be Sajid Nadiadwala’s ‘Kick’.
4. Is it great idea to release ‘Khiladi 786‘ on Dec 7th, which is a week after ‘Talaash’? Can ‘Khiladi 786’ make 100 crore? – (Dhananjay Jena)
- In the times when a solo release comes with a fortune, arrival of one biggie a week after another biggie is not a bad idea. ‘Khiladi 786’ as well as ‘Talaash‘ can comfortably survive in their first and second week of run despite competition. As for the box office run, ‘Khiladi 786’ will most definitely cross the 100 crore mark. Remember, the franchise has a huge recall value and the teaser has met with a good repsonnse too.
5. How is the craze and response towards ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan‘ in public? Is there any chance that it would cross ‘3 Idiots’ business ? – (Bhumi)
- Response to the film’s promo and song so far has been good, though not exceptional. For exceptional status, there are still a few more weeks to go in which YRF has to fire enough ammunition so that it becomes a must-watch affair. Given the brand’s pull (Yash Chopra + Shahrukh + Katrina + Anushka + AR Rahman + Gulzar), that is possible. As for the film crossing ‘3 Idiots’ business, the first milestone for ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ is to create enhanced hype via promos so that it turns out to be a must-watch film on it’s release.
6. Can ‘Talaash’ break all non-holiday records currently held by ‘Rowdy Rathore’? And is it true that the film is going to release on more than 3000 screens? – (Aashish Thapar)
- Can that happen? Yes. Will it happen? Definitely yes. No one can undermine the pull that Aamir Khan has. As a brand, he will make sure that next 6 weeks would make ‘Talaash’ the most awaited film of the season. As for the film’s release size, it is too early to comment.
7. Its said that you are people’s favorite critic. So can I have the list of your Top 3 favorite movies, Top 3 directors and Top 3 music albums. – (Anonymous)
- This is a platform to entertain queries about Bollywood in general as well as what ‘you’ feel about movies, actors and box office. It would be unfair to promote my personal likes and dislikes here :-)
8. If both ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ and ‘Son of Sardaar’ release on Diwali i.e. 13th November, what would be your first day predictions? – (Chaitanya)
- There is still a month to go for Diwali and anything can happen over a period of time. As of now, it still can’t be said with utmost certainity that there would be clash. Hence making any predictions as of now would be futile. Also, even if the two films indeed open on the same day, the numbers would be not just humongous, together they would break the First Day record of ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ by at least 10 crores.
9. Hi, which are Akshay Kumar’s next year releases apart from ‘Special 26’ and ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai 2’ – (Samir Rathod)
- As of now, only ‘Naam Hai Boss’. Moreover, chances are near to nil that he would be seen in any other movie than these three since he is yet to start even ‘Naam Hai Boss’. There is an outside chance of AR Murugadoss directed remake of Tamil film ‘Thuppakki’ to arrive towards 2013 end but probability is very low.
10. Is it possible that Emraan’s ‘Rush’ will collect 8 crore plus on it’s opening day? – (Sajid Hossain)
- That would be quite tough. However even if the film does the first day of 5 crore plus (which is very possible), it would be a reason to celebrate. Let’s not forget that the film was started when the lead hero was not THE Emraan Hashmi which means the costs are not as high and hence even decent returns would be good. However the film is arriving in a ‘rush’ with ‘Chakravyuh’ and ‘Ajab Gazabb Love’ as competition.
You can ask Joginder a question – just fill the form below. If your question is selected, it will be answered next Saturday by film critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja.