The name ‘Aamir Khan’ needs no introduction at all. He’s arguably the only actor today who has won the trust of his audience over the years. Known as ‘Mr. Perfectionist’ of Hindi Movies, Aamir has redefined the conventional and existing theories with his path breaking movies. He is a real trend setter and his contribution to Indian Cinema is immense. The quality of work that he has done in his career has ensured that his name will have dominance in the list of ‘Must Watch Indian Movies’.
Aamir’s song bank is not just popular but is rich in quality as well which makes the job to choose just ten songs very complex. Here we go with the list of the best songs of Aamir Khan:-
1) Pehla Nasha: Nostalgic! In one of the most romantic songs ever, Aamir is in his complete elements. This Jatin-Lalit melody grabs attention instantly and sounds even better after more than 2 decades after its release! The track, penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri and sung by Udit Narayan, was shot in complete slow motion and has now become a cult song. 27 year old Khan perfectly performed the role of a school boy in ‘Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar’.
2) Papa Kehte Hain: This energetic and inspirational youth song from ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak’ opened the doors of stardom for Aamir Khan. The song is simply irresistible for its sheer enthusiasm and sweet guitar play. QSQT has given 4 stars –Aamir, Juhi, Udit and Alka – to the industry.
3) O Rey Chhori: Rahman composed timeless tunes for Aamir’s Oscar nominated ‘Lagaan’. It is certainly one of the finest works of the master music director. This song of eternal love also depicts the feelings of a Briton girl towards Bhuvan. In a track sung wonderfully by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik, the added attraction is the inclusion of the English lyrics and its perfect execution by Vasundhara Das.
4) Dil Hai Ke Maanta Nahin: So simple and traditional, yet so melodious. This title song of ‘Dil Hai Ke Maanta Nahi’ is brilliantly rendered by Kumar Sanu and Anuradha Paudwal. The Nadeem Shravan’s melody picturized on Aamir and Pooja Bhatt is still able to connect with music lovers the world over. Bhatts have planned a sequel to the film with Emraan Hashmi to revive the old magic all over again.
5) Mujhe Neend Naa Aaye: ‘Dil’, the biggest hit of 1990, had several songs in its album and all were chartbusters. Sameer as the lyricist and Anand-Milind in the music department were in top form. This track sung by Udit Narayan and Anuradha Paudwal ruled the countdown charts for a record number of weeks.
6) Aati Kya Khandala: Aamir sung a full-fledged song in his voice for the first time in ‘Ghulam’ and the rest is history. The song became a rage with the youth and was hugely instrumental in the success of the movie. Such was the impact of this song that the other two Khans – Salman and SRK – immediately followed the suit and sang for ‘Hello Brother’ and ‘Josh’ in their respective voices.
7) Pardesi Pardesi: A beautiful song from an evergreen award winning album of 1996’s biggest blockbuster ‘Raja Hindustani’ is as good as it gets. Aamir played the role of a taxi driver in the movie. Nadeem-Shravan’s simple melody required excellent and high-quality vocals to take it to its heights and Udit’s effortless singing provided exactly that.
8) Jaane Kyon Log: This refreshing song from ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ is nicely sung by Udit and Alka. The lyrics by Javed Akhtar highlight the naughty contradiction in the views of Boys and Girls. Aamir got under the skin of Akash’s character in this Farhan Akhtar directed cult-classic.
9) Kya Karein Kya: In ‘Rangeela’, Aamir delivered one of the best performances of his career. Infact, he decided to boycott the award functions after not being able to win any award for his breathtaking act as Munna. Interestingly, 7 out of top 9 songs in the list are sung by Udit Narayan which re-affirms his tag of being Aamir’s on-screen voice.
10.) Mere Haath Mein: This soulful track from ‘Fanaa’ takes you to a dream world. Magically sung by Sonu Nigam and Sunidhi Chauhan, the song has wonderful shayari in the voices of Aamir and Kajol like “rone de aaj humko tu aankhein sujane de bahon me lele aur khud ko bheeg jane de hai jo seene me qaid dariya woh choot jayega hai itna dard ki tera daaman bheeg jayega..”
Well, if you don’t find landmark films like ‘3 Idiots’, ‘Rang De Basanti’, ‘Taare Zameen Par’, ‘Andaz Apna Apna’ and musical blockbusters like ‘Ishq’, ‘Ghajini’, ‘Sarfarosh’ in the list , you will realize the depth of Aamir’s song bank. Even films like ‘Akele Hum Akele Tum’ and ‘Mann’, which didn’t do too well at the box-office, boast of memorable music. In fact, we can have multiple lists of the movies covered above as remaining songs from albums like Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Dil Chahta Hai, Lagaan and many more are equally good.
Do mention your list of favorite Aamir Khan Songs in the comments section below.
With Chennai Express arriving at its station shortly, stay tuned for the best songs of Deepika Padukone.
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma