The June 8th episode of Satyamev Jayate was about untouchability and the caste system that continues to plague our country more than 60 years after independence.
Some key issues and points were debated in detail today
- When did the caste system in India first come into place? Is it from ancient religious texts?
- Discrimination over caste and creed takes place even with highly educated people from cities. Just check the matrimonial pages of your newspaper.
- Does untouchability exist in urban India or has it been eradicated?
- Several young students from lower caste are made to clean toilets. Some are not allowed to have meals with their classmates.
- A filmmaker on the show announces that inter-caste marriages are the solution to get rid of caste system in India.
- In short, the message is to abolish caste system.
Question of the week: Do we wish to see an immediate end to the practice of manual scavenging, or cleaning of others’ excreta by hand?
If your answer is Yes, type Y and send it to 5782711. If your answer is No, type N and SMS to 5782711. You can send as many SMS’es as you wish to. Each message will be charged at Re 1 and will be donated to charity.
Watch the full 10th episode of Satyamev Jayate below