There have been number of successful director-actor pairs in Bollywood .
Some prominent ones, just to name a few, are as mentioned below
- Prakash Mehra – Amitabh Bachchan (6 hits)
- Manmohan Desai – Amitabh Bachchan (7 hits)
- Rohit Shetty – Ajay Devgn (6 hits)
- David Dhawan – Salman Khan (6 hits)
- Karan Johar – Shahrukh Khan (4 hits)
- Aditya Chopra and Yash Chopra – Shahrukh Khan (3 hits each)
- Shakti Samanta – Rajesh Khanna (4 hits)
- Rakesh Roshan – Hrithik Roshan (3 hits)
But the success achieved by the legendary pair of David Dhawan – Govinda is truly remarkable in terms of number of movies and the time-period between them.
Typical Dhawan-Govinda movies became a permanent mantra of success in the 90s. Simple funny stories combined with some desi latka jhatka sequences and the right dose of action and romance became the best source of entertainment. The duo worked together in 17 films out of which 11 are major hits, a staggering feat to say the least.
Most of these movies were remakes of South-Indian or Hollywood movies and also had scenes lifted from the Mr. Bean series. Some brilliant character actors who were a regular part of this team were Karisma Kapoor, Kader Khan and Satish Kaushik. Music director Anand Milind, writer Rumy Jaffery and producer Vashu Bhagnani played a major role in their success too. Today, we miss these funny time-pass comedy flicks.
Below mentioned is my list of Top 10 movies of this legendary pair all of which have been seen multiple times by the audience in 90s.
- Aankhen (1993): This movie starring Govinda in a double role along with Chunkey Pandey and Kader Khan was the biggest hit of 1993. It was a remake of a Kannada movie. Aankhen became such a big hit that even the part played by a Monkey became famous. Arguably the biggest commercial success of David Dhawan-Govinda till date.
- Raja Babu (1994): This was yet another super-successful comedy from the same team. Raja Babu came at a time when Bollywood was still in search of its No. 1 star and Govinda seemed to be the most appropriate choice. The song Sarkaiylo Khatiya proved to be a major chartbuster.
- Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (1998): A remake of Hollywood blockbuster Bad Boys, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan was the 2nd highest grosser of the year after Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. The film marked the comeback of Amitabh Bachchan. Total Paisa Vasool.
- Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1999): The Sultans of comedy, Dhawan and Govinda, came together to deliver yet another superhit slapstick comedy. The role of Gulzari Lal played brilliantly by Govinda and his breaking into ‘Are re Are’ song with Aruna Irani will still tickle your funny bone.
- Hero No. 1 (1997): This superhit comedy was inspired from Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Bawarchi. Without experimenting with his successful formula, David Dhawan continued his golden run with the tried and tested combination of Govinda-Karisma-Kader Khan.
- Coolie No. 1 (1995): This excellent comedy was the 3rd biggest hit of the year after DDLJ and Karan Arjun. Govinda excelled in a double role.
- Partner (2007): Inspired from the Hollywood movie Hitch, Partner was a comeback movie for Govinda and he did full justice to the character of Bhaskar Diwakar Chaudhary. For the first time, David brought together his two most repeated leading men Salman and Govinda. Partner was a blockbuster.
- Saajan Chale Sasural (1996): Another hit comedy starring the hit team of Govinda, Karisma, Kader Khan and Satish Kaushik. Saajan Chale Sasural was a remake of some telugu movie.
- Shola Aur Shabnam (1992): David Dhawan and Govinda’s first HIT! It featured the late Divya Bharti alongside Govinda. This romantic drama had excellent music.
- Deewana Mastana (1997): Deewana Mastana is a super funny film starring Govinda, Anil Kapoor and Juhi Chawla . The film was inspired from a Hollywood movie. The tussles between Govinda and Anil to get Juhi is a treat to watch.
So guys, this was my list of Top 10 movies of Govinda and David Dhawan. Do tell me how you liked the article and any movie which I should have included or excluded from the list. One noteworthy mention is Jodi No.1 which I could not include, even though I loved the film.
What are your favorite Govinda and David Dhawan films? Tell us in the comments section below.