Best Ranbir Kapoor Songs: Top 10
He is only 10 films old and we are doing a Top 10 Songs article on him. This only showcases the magnitude of stardom that ‘superstar’ Ranbir Kapoor has achieved in a short span of time. He is on a roll these days and seems to be doing nothing wrong. He is fortunate to have superb music in almost all of his movies which makes picking his ten best an uphill task.
The earth-shattering opening of yesterday’s release ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewaani’ has further consolidated his status of a superstar. Although he hails from the biggest Bollywood family, Ranbir is making his own way and not following the footsteps of other industry veterans.
Here goes the list of top ten songs of Ranbir Kapoor:
1) Jo Bhi Main: ‘Rockstar’ is unarguably the best album of not only Ranbir’s career but also of Bollywood in the past few years. A.R.Rahman provided a complete album and Mohit Chauhan rocked as Ranbir’s voice in each and every song. If I pick all the quality songs of Rockstar, this list would be more than half full with one album itself. My favorite amongst all is ‘Jo Bhi Main’- it showcases Ranbir in various avatars at different places.
2) Tera Hone Laga Hoon: ‘Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani’ is yet another complete musical album featuring Ranbir Kapoor. Pritam composed evergreen numbers for this movie starring Ranbir and Katrina. Again there are many great songs in this film, but my pick is this ever so romantic song sung magically by Atif Aslam and Alisha Chinoy.
3) Aashiyan: ‘Barfi !’ worked bigtime for Ranbir and the soulful music compositions of Pritam had a huge role to play in the success of the movie. This delightful track, which is sung by Nikhil Paul George and Shreya Ghoshal, transforms the listener into a dreamland of hope. There is a soulful innocence in this beautifully delivered gem.
4) Tujhe Bhula Diya: This tear jerking number from Anjaana Anjaani composed by Vishal-Shekhar grows magically on the listener. The track begins with impressive vocals by Shruti Pathak and gains momentum as Mohit Chauhan’s sonorously profound voice prospers in the backdrop of sublime Sufi qawalli overtones.
5) Khuda Jaane: Vishal-Shekhar really hit the mark as they bring in a cinematic quality to this song from Bachna Ae Haseeno. KK takes this composition to new heights with his alluringly captivating voice. This is arguably one of the most romantic contemporary songs of this era featuring Ranbir and Deepika.
6) Jabse Tere Naina: Ranbir won million hearts with his infamous towel dance in this song from his debut movie ‘Saawariya’. Shaan is in his supreme form as he mesmerizes with his wide vocal range. Monty Sharma’s traditional arrangements mixed with contemporary lyrics provide and enchanting euphoric outlook to his track.
7) Badtameez Dil: Pritam is in top touch in Ranbir’s latest release ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewaani’. The catchy tune is addictive and grows on you like slow poison. Amitabh Bhattacharya has written creative lyrics but it is Benny’s show all the way. It has been always pleasant to hear the voice of this super talented yet selective singer ‘Benny Dayal’ who has sung amazing songs like ‘Tu Hi To Meri Dost Hai’, ‘Kaise Mujhe Tum Mil Gayi’ and ‘Daaru Desi’.
8) Mora Piya: Rajneeti had exceptional music embroiled in the textures of Indian Classical stuff. Song is sung and composed by talented Aadesh Srivastava and his soothing vocals enrich the classy feel of the track with sentimental English one–liners providing the backdrop. Sameer is top-class with the use of traditional words.
9) Iktara: Music for Ranbir’s first movie with Ayan ‘Wake Up Sid’ is composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy but the gifted composer Amit Trivedi stole the show in one guest composition. Kavitha Seth’s throaty vocals give out the breezy feel of heart’s loneliness. Ranbir gave a matured performance in this Dharma Productions movie opposite Konkona Sen Sharma.
10) Pocket Mein Rocket: Ranbir should be given credit as he tried something completely different so early in his career. In only his 3rd film Rocket Singh – Salesman of the Year, he played the title role of a Sikh Salesman with utmost conviction. His mannerism is visible in this title song perfectly composed by Salim-Sulaiman. Benny Dayal is again top notch as Ranbir’s on screen voice.
As mentioned earlier, all other songs of Rockstar, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Anjaana Anjaani and Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewaani are equally good.
Do let us know your list of Ranbir’s top ten songs in the comments section below.
With Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 lined up for release, stay tuned for the best songs of Sunny Deol.
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma