Aamir Khan – The Rising, a title inspired from his comeback movie Mangal Pandey. Rising, indeed, what a rise it has been!
While Mangal Pandey opened to huge numbers, the negative word of mouth and reviews meant the film settled as the third biggest grosser of the year (2005). It was only due to the huge costs the film didn’t do too well commercially, although it recovered its investment.
Post Mangal Pandey, Aamir Khan never looked back and the box office collections of his films have only increased with each release.
Check out these staggering numbers.
- Mangal Pandey – 29 crores – Below Average
- Rang De Basanti – 52 crores – Super Hit
- Fanaa – 54 crores – Super Hit
- Taare Zameen Par – 63 crores – Blockbuster
- Ghajini – 115 crores – All Time Blockbuster
- 3 Idiots – 125 crores?? – All Time Blockbuster
At this rate Dhobi Ghat, Aamir Khan’s next low budget home production, should recover its investment from the first day morning shows alone..!