What will be the budget of Krrish 3?
Indicine movie critic and trade analyst Joginder Tuteja answers 5 questions from readers.
What will be the budget of ‘Krrish 3′? Is it possible for the film to release on 4000 screens in India and 1000 screens in overseas and create new history? – Sayed Abid Shah
- Including the remuneration of and Rakesh Roshan, ‘Krrish 3′ budget is easily over 125 crores. The film, at whichever screen size that it releases, would definitely create history.
Why is Salman doing back to back ‘masala’ genre films? Is he insecure that now a days every film without ‘masala’ is being rejected. Why he is playing so safe? – Pranjal Dasgupta
- is doing what the market demands from him and what he believes would work with the audience. He is way too experienced to be ‘insecure’ about ‘anything else being rejected’. Remember, there was a time period in between when just about nothing was working with him. Today, he is putting his fingers on the right films and that is being ‘intelligent’ and not ‘playing safe’.
Which film according to you has a better chance at the box office? Please rank in an order for ‘Besharam’, ‘Rambo Rajkumar’ (earlier titled ‘Namak’), ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’, ‘Yeh Jawani Hai Diwaani’ and Imran-Karina’s next – Dipon
- It is unlikely that ‘Rambo Rajkumar’ will release in 2013 since Prabhudheva and Shahid Kapoor are busy with ‘Ramaiya Vastavaiya’ and ‘Phata Poster Nikla Hero’ respectively. Amongst other films that you mention, ‘Yeh Jawani Hai Diwaani’ is the hottest followed by ‘Besharam’. It would be futile to begin any ranking so soon considering the fact that most of these have not even gone on floors.
You said that ‘’, if backed by better content, would have done more business. Is Box Office your criteria of deciding the quality of a film? ‘Andaz Apna Apna’, ‘Swades’ and ‘Hera Pheri’ were universal flops, so obviously this implies that they were bad movies and hence audiences rejected them. But they are considered cult classics today. I think it is a narrow approach to judge a film on box office results. What do you think? – Arjun Singh
- No, Box Office is not a criteria to decide the quality of a film. However when a film is pitched as a commercial entertainer and it fails to do it’s very job, the repercussions are inevitable. ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ was a weak film and that reflected in audience acceptance. Without the big names involved with it, it would have done even lesser. Its underperformance can’t be compared with the films that you mention which were far superior products and hence enjoy re-runs till date, And by the way, ‘Hera Pheri’ was not a flop.
Do you have any information about the release dates of ‘’ and ‘Happy New Year’? A website has published 25th Dec’13 but this is also the release date of ‘Dhoom 3′. – Gaurav Handa
- Since ‘Dhoom 3′ is releasing on 25th Dec’13, there is no way that Shahrukh would bring his ‘Happy New Year’ along with it. There is no other alternate release date decided yet. As for ‘Chennai Express’, early indications are that it would release in July. This makes sense since Rohit Shetty’s record in July (Bol Bachchan (2012), Singham (2011), Golmaal (2006)) has been fantastic.
You can ask Joginder a question too. Use the form below to submit your questions.