2013 was a golden year for the film industry, what with three films grossing more than 200 crores at the domestic box office, and one film going on to collect more than Rs 500 crore worldwide. Stardom and fan following of the top superstars has reached an all time high and hence sky will be the limit for almost every big release of 2014.
The market for Hindi movies is growing worldwide and all those 10-15 big releases are awaited by one and all with bated breath. A plethora of big and interesting movies have been waiting to hit the silver screens in 2014.
Below mentioned is the list of top ten most anticipated Bollywood movies of 2014. Have a look!
10. Bombay Velvet: Anurag Kashyap is known for directing off-beat hard hitting movies. But this year he has decided to enter the commercial genre in a full-fledged manner with ‘Bombay Velvet’ featuring Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma along with Karan Johar as the primary antagonist. Movie is set in Bombay from 1950s to 1970s and will hit the screens during Christmas, 2014.
9. Action Jackson: Prabhudeva has never got it wrong when it comes to directing action-masala films. While ‘Wanted’ and ‘Rowdy Rathore’ went on to be huge grossers, Prabhu ended Shahid’s dull phase at the box office with ‘R.. Rajkumar’. Now he is all set to revive the magic with Ajay Devgn with ‘Action Jackson’.
8. Jagga Jasoos: Anurag Basu managed to extract a ‘performance of a lifetime’ from Ranbir Kapoor in ‘Barfi’ as the movie turned out to be the biggest surprise hit of 2012. The two return in 2014 with ‘Jagga Jasoos’. The inclusion of Katrina Kaif to the starcast has further raised the prospects of this detective drama at the ticket window.
7. Holiday: After starting the trend of southern remakes with the first ‘100 cr grosser’ ‘Ghajini’, director A.R. Murugadoss is directing ‘Holiday’ which will be the Hindi remake of his own Tamil blockbuster ‘Thuppakki’. There is going to be a long 8 month gap between this movie and Akshay Kumar’s last release ‘Boss’ which will surely bring his in-numerous die-hard fans in numbers to theatres.
6. Singham 2: After the super success of ‘Chennai Express’, director Rohit Shetty returns to his favourite star Ajay Devgn with the sequel of Singham. The addition of Kareena Kapoor to the cast has further raised the bar of expectations. The original movie has a huge recall value, as it is still screened multiple times on television every week and is considered to be one of Devgn’s finest performances in the last few years.
5. Bang Bang: After the success of ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ , the super hot pair of Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif will be seen in Siddharth Anand’s ‘Bang Bang’. The movie is a remake of Tom Cruise’s ‘Knight And Day’ and hence will be full of stylized action. The chemistry between Hrithik and Katrina wasn’t explored in ZNMD due to the presence of other actors but ‘Bang Bang’ surely promises to present its lead pair in never-before-seen avatars.
4. Jai Ho: For the first time in his 25 year career, Salman has seen a year go by without a release. ‘Jai Ho’ will mark the comeback of the superstar more than a year after his last release ‘Dabangg 2’. The special thing about the movie is that apart from his regular action and masala stuff, Salman is also trying to give a social message through this Sohail Khan directed film.
3. Kick : Salman missed out on his favorite Eid release date in 2013 but he is all set to reaffirm his dominance this year with Sajid Nadiadwala’s ‘Kick’. Producer-turned-director Sajid is going to leave no stone unturned for his directorial debut which is a remake of Telugu movie with the same title. Screenplay by Chetan Bhagat , dialogues by Rajat Arora and music by Himesh Reshammiya are going to be the key ingredients. Salman has created box office history with his earlier Eid releases ‘Ek Tha Tiger’ (2012), ‘Bodyguard’ (2011) and ‘Dabangg’(2010).
2. Happy New Year: King Khan shattered all records with ‘Chennai Express’ and he has now re-united with his favourite director Farah Khan for ‘Happy New Year’. This is going to be SRK’s 11th (Yes, you read it right) Diwali mega release. The superstar has earlier featured in ‘Main Hoon Na’ and ‘Om Shanti Om’ with Farah Khan and going by the first poster we can safely assume that the movie is going to be a complete masala entertainer. The presence of Deepika Padukone is an icing on the cake.
1. P.K: Can’t get bigger or better, can it? The first time that Aamir Khan and Rajukumar Hirani came together in 2009, the result was ‘3 Idiots’ which became not only the most successful movie of its time, but also the most acclaimed film. Hirani has a impeccable record too, each of his last three films ‘MunnaBhai MBBS’, ‘Lage Raho Munna Bhai’ and ‘3 Idiots’ have been classics. The theme of ‘P.K.’ has been kept under the wraps but the wait is definitely going to be well worth it. The release date too is perfect as the next weekend after the Indian Premiere League has given the industry back to back blockbusters in ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’(2013), ‘Rowdy Rathore’(2012) and ‘Ready’(2011).
A few other films that have the potential to be on the list are – ‘Its Entertainment’ (Akshay Kumar, Tamannah),’ Gabbar’ (Akshay Kumar), ‘Humshakals’ (Saif Ali Khan) and ‘Phantom’ (Saif Ali Khan, Katrina Kaif).
Few films which can spring a pleasant surprise are ‘Kill Dil’(Ranveer Singh, Parineeti Chopra), ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’(Farhan Akhtar, Vidya Balan), ‘2 States’ (Arjun Kapoor, Aalia Bhatt), Gunday (Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Priyanka), Hasee Toh Phasee (Sidharth Malhotra, Parineeti Chopra) and quite a few other films.
Due to Hrithik’s injury, the shoot of ‘Shuddhi’ has delayed and the film will only release in 2015. If at all the movie comes in 2014, it will definitely be in the top 5.
Do let us know your list of Top 10 most anticipated Bollywood movies of 2014 in the comments section below.
Also, vote for your favourite films. You can pick THREE from the list below.
Abhishek Sharma tweets @abhu_sharma