This article is an analysis of the success ratio of the films in which the Top 7 stars of India have appeared in since 2000. Only the films where these actors had a ‘substantial’ or ‘significant’ role where accounted for. Special appearances where the star had limited screen time aren’t included. We have slightly tweaked the analysis from last time to include films with ‘Above Average’ and ‘Semi-Hit’ under the ‘successful film’ category.
We start off with Aamir Khan, one of the most successful actors in recent times.
- Failures: Mela (flop), Dil Chahta Hai (average – was a decent success only in select cities), Mangal Pandey (below average).
- Successes: Lagaan (hit), Fanaa (super hit), Rang De Basanti (hit), Taare Zameen Par (super hit), Ghajini (All time blockbuster), 3 Idiots (All time blockbuster), Dhobi Ghat (semi hit), Talaash (semi hit) and Dhoom 3 (All Time Blockbuster). Total successes: 9.
Aamir Khan Total Films – 12, Failures – 3, Successes – 9, Success ratio is 75%
Aamir Khan has featured in 12 films in the last 14 years, out of which 9 films have been successful. Dil Chahta Hai, one of his best films, was an average grosser at the box office, even though the general belief is that the film was a huge success. Aamir’s last failure was Mangal Pandey in 2005, after which every single film of his has recovered its investment. 3 Idiots and Dhoom 3 are his biggest money-spinners to date.
- Failures: Deewane (flop), Raju Chacha (flop), Yeh Raaste Hain Pyaar Ke (flop), Tera Mera Saath Rahen (flop), Company (below average), Hum Kisise Kum Nahin (flop), The Legend of Bhagat Singh (flop), Deewaangee (below average), Bhoot (average), Chori Chori (flop), Parwana (flop), Zameen (flop), Khakee (average), Yuva (flop), Raincoat (flop), Insan (flop), Blackmail (flop), Zameer (flop), Tango Charlie (flop), Main Aisa Hi Hoon (flop), Shikhar (flop), Omkara (flop), Cash (flop), Ram Gopal Verma Ki Aag (flop), Halla Bol (flop), Sunday (below average), U Me Aur Hum (below average), Mehbooba (flop), London Dreams (flop), Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge (average), Aakrosh (flop), Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji (below average), Rascals (flop), Tezz (flop), Satyagraha (flop), Himmatwala (flop). Total Failure – 36
- Successes: Qayamat (semi hit), Gangaajal (above average), Kaal (above average), Apaharan (above average), Golmaal (semi hit), All the Best (above average), Golmaal Returns (hit), Raajneeti (blockbuster), Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai (hit), Golmaal 3 (blockbuster), Singham (super hit), Bol Bachchan (hit), Son of Sardaar (hit). Total successes – 13
Ajay Devgn Total Films – 49, Failures – 36, Successes – 13, Success ratio is 26.5%
Ajay wasn’t a commercially successful actor until he started working in comedy films. His partnership with director Rohit Shetty has helped push a terrific actor like Ajay into the big league. However, his overall success ratio is quite poor at 26.5 percent. Only 1 in 4 films of the actor have gone on to be successful at the box office. He has films like Singham 2 and Action Jackson coming up. Both are likely to rake in the moolah at the ticket window and hopefully increase his success ratio too.
- Failures: Hera Pheri (average), Dhadkan (average), Khiladi 420 (flop), Ek Rishtaa (below average), Ajnabee (average), Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya (flop), Aankhen (average), Talaash (flop), Khakee (average), Police Force: An Inside Story (flop), Aan (flop), Meri Biwi Ka Jawaab Nahin (flop), Hatya: The Murder (flop), Aitraaz (average), Ab Tumhare Hawale Waton Saathiyon (flop), Insan (flop), Bewafaa (below average), Deewana Huye Paagal (flop), Dosti: Friends Forever (below average), Mere Jeevan Saathi (flop), Humko Deewana Kar Gaye (flop), Jaan-E-Mann (flop), Tashan (below average), Chandni Chowk to China (flop), 8 X 10 Tasveer (flop), Blue (below average), Khatta Meetha (below average), Action Replayy (flop), Patiala House (below average), Thank You (average), Desi Boyz (below average), Joker (flop), Khiladi 786 (average), Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobaara (flop), Boss (flop).
- Successes: Awara Paagal Deewana (above average), Andaaz (hit), Waqt (above average), Garam Masala (semi hit), Mujhse Shaadi Karoge (hit), Phir Hera Pheri (super hit), Bhagam Bhag (hit), Namastey London (hit), Heyy Babyy (hit), Bhool Bhulaiyaa (hit), Welcome (blockbuster), Singh Is Kinng (super hit), Kambakkht Ishq (above average), De Dana Dan (above average), Housefull (hit), Tees Maar Khan (semi hit), Housefull 2 (super hit), Rowdy Rathore (blockbuster), OMG! Oh My God (super hit), Special 26 (hit).
Akshay Kumar Total Films – 54, Failures – 35, Successes – 19, Success ratio is 35.1%
Akshay has featured in 54 films in the last 14 years, which is an average of close to 4 films every year! He is probably the only top star in the industry, who puts his superstardom on the line multiple times every year and yet maintains a healthy success ratio of 35% i.e one in 3 Akshay Kumar films work at the box office. 2007 was the turning point in his career, he gave 4 hits in a single year and was considered to be the biggest crowd -puller in the industry. His career has gone through ups and downs, 2013 wasn’t a great year for him, but he has quite a few promising films lined up for release in 2014.
- Failures: Fiza (flop), Yaadein (flop), Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage (flop), Na Tum Jaano Na Hum (flop), Mujhse Dosti Katroge (flop), Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon (flop), Lakshya (below average), Kites (flop), Guzaarish (flop).
- Successes: Kaho Naa.. Pyaar Hai (blockbuster), Mission Kashmir (semi hit), Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (blockbuster), Koi.. Mil Gaya (blockbuster), Krrish (blockbuster), Dhoom 2 (blockbuster), Jodhaa Akbar (hit), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (hit), Agneepath (hit), Krrish 3 (All Time Blockbuster).
Hrithik Roshan Total Films – 19, Failures – 9, Successes – 10, Success Ratio is 52.6%
Hrithik’s debut film was the biggest grosser of 2000, but most of his films that followed failed to make a mark. Post Koi Mil Gaya, Hrithik has been choosy and has consistently delivered some huge grossers. 2006 was the biggest year of his career, as two of his films Krrish and Dhoom 2 were the biggest grossers of the year. In the last 10 years, 7 of his 9 films have worked at the box office. Overall, his success ratio is pretty good and should only improve from here on.
- Failures: Chal Mere Bhai (average), Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega (average), Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye (flop), Tumko Na Bhool Payenge (flop), Yeh Hai Jalwa (flop), Garv: Pride And Honour (below average), Dil Ne Jise Apna Kahaa (flop), Lucky: No Time for Love (below average), Kyon Ki (flop), Shaadi Karke Phas Gaya Yaar (flop), Jaan-E-Mann (flop), Marigold (flop), God Tussi Great Ho (flop), Yuvraaj (flop), London Dreams (flop), Veer (below average). Total failures – 17
- Successes: Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge (above average), Chori Chori Chupke Chupke (flop), Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam (above average), Tere Naam (above average), Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (hit), Main Pyaar Kyun Kiya? (semi hit), No Entry (super hit), Partner (blockbuster), Wanted (super hit), Dabangg (all time blockbuster), Ready (blockbuster), Bodyguard (blockbuster), Ek Tha Tiger (blockbuster), Dabangg 2 (blockbuster), Jai Ho (above average). Total success – 14
Salman Khan Total Films – 31, Failures – 16, Successes – 15, Success Ratio is 48.3%
Salman’s glorious run that included 5 back-to-back blockbusters came to an end this year with Jai Ho. His winning streak of box office money-spinners was probably the best since Rajesh Khanna’s 15 continuous hits record. Even though Salman has consistently featured in 2 movies a year, his success ratio is very good at around 45%.
- Failures: Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani (flop), One 2 Ka 4 (flop), Asoka (flop), Swades (flop), Yeh Lamhe Judaai Ke and Paheli (flop). Total failures – 6
- Successes: Josh (above average), Mohabbatein (super hit), Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (Blockbuster), Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam (above average), Chalte Chalte (semi hit), Devdas (hit), Kal Ho Naa Ho (hit), Main Hoon Na (hit), Veer Zaara (super hit), Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (hit), Don (hit), Chak De India (Blockbuster), Om Shanti Om (Blockbuster), Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (Blockbuster), My Name Is Khan (hit), Ra.One (hit), Don 2 (hit), Jab Tak Hai Jaan (hit), Chennai Express (All Time Blockbuster). Total success – 19
Shahrukh Khan Total Films – 25, Failures – 6, Successes – 19, Success ratio is 76%
Even though SRK has appeared in as many as 25 films in the given time period, his success rate is only comparable to Aamir Khan, who is on-par with SRK but has less than half the number of film releases. While many will argue that Ra.One wasn’t a clean hit at the box office, but the fact remains that it was declared a hit by the trade even though a few distributors lost money. SRK’s consistency is even more amazing since his last failure was almost 9 years back in 2005. However, when it comes to big box office blockbusters, SRK is behind Salman, Aamir who have consistently delivered huge grossers in the last 4 years or so. In the overall list of highest blockbusters, he is behind Hrithik.
- Failures – Saawariya (disaster), Rocket Singh (flop), Anjaana Anjaani (Average), Besharam (Flop).
- Successes – Bachna Ae Haseeno (semi hit), Wake Up Sid (semi hit), Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahaani (super hit), Rajneeti (blockbuster), Rockstar (semi hit), Barfi (super hit), Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (blockbuster).
Ranbir Kapoor Total Films – 11, Failures – 4, Successes – 7, Success ratio is 63.6%
The new superstar on the block, Ranbir Kapoor, has already started giving 150 crore+ grossers at the box office. He has age on his side and he is also considered to be one of the best actors in the country. With every top director wanting to sign him for a film, Ranbir could soon enter Aamir – SRK territory. He already had a very good success ratio of around 64%.
The ranking of actors in terms of profibility (the higher the success %, the higher is the profibility):
- 1. Shahrukh Khan – 76%
- 2. Aamir Khan – 75%
- 3. Ranbir Kapoor – 63.6%
- 3. Hrithik Roshan – 52.6%
- 4. Salman Khan – 48.3%
- 5. Akshay Kumar – 35.1%
- 6. Ajay Devgn – 26.5%
The actors with the most number of clean hits (Hit or better only):
- 1. Shah Rukh Khan (16)
- 2. Akshay Kumar (13)
- 3. Hrithik Roshan (9)
- 4. Salman Khan (8)
- 5. Ajay Devgn (7)
- = 5. Aamir Khan (7)
- 7. Ranbir Kapoor (4)
Actors with the most ‘blockbusters’
- 1. Salman Khan – 6 (one all time blockbuster)
- = 1. Hrithik Roshan – 6 (one all time blockbuster)
- 3. Shahrukh Khan – 5 (one all time blockbuster)
- 4. Aamir Khan – 3 (two all time blockbusters)
- 5. Akshay Kumar – 2
- = Ranbir Kapoor – 2
- = Ajay Devgn – 2