Vishal Bharadwaj is one of most talented directors the industry has produced in the recent past, along with the likes of Imtiaz Ali, Rajkumar Hirani, Anurag Kashyap and Anurag Basu. This, makes Kaminey the most anticipated movie of the year. Presence of immensely popular actors like Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra add to the hype. So is it worth a watch?
Without revealing much, Kaminey is about Guddu and Charlie (Shahid Kapoor in double roles). The two are twins and while one suffers from a speech disorder (spells S as F), the other stammers. The brothers hate each other, until they bump into each other, one fateful night due to circumstances.. In a battle of survival surrounded by money, drugs and violence.. the two realize they have noone except each other..
Why Kaminey is a MUST watch in theatre
- Vishal Bharadwaj’s execution of a pretty complicated script, full of twist and turns, is absolutely flawless. Can’t think of any director in Bollywood, who could have pulled it off with such brilliance.
- The writing is what makes this film, a fantastically fun watch. The characters are well etched and the dialogues are witty.
- The pace is quick, so quick that you probably would’t be able to grasp the film fully on first viewing. A second watch is highly recommended.
- The music is top notch. Dhan Te Nan is an ouright classic which will be remembered, sung and performed for years, if not decades, to come. The background score adds a lot of value to the film.
- Shahid Kapoor delivers inarguably the best performance of 2009. With most big stars having no release this year, Shahid should dominate most awards.
- Amol Gupte is fabulous and so is each and every character actor in the film.
- The ‘smooch’ between Priyanka and Shahid, has to be the hottest Bollywood smooch ever. Their chemistry is sizzling. No wonder, there are plenty of rumours of an offscreen relationship.
- The film is dark and filled with a lot of blood, gore and corpses. Family audience might stay away, which would certainly affect collections to a certain extent.
- What’s disappointing is, Priyanka Chopra is completely wasted. Frankly, she has nothing much to do. Even Amol Gupte has more dialogues and screen time!
Overall, Kaminey is a fun watch. The best Bollywood thriller since Johnny Gaddar!Rating:
Other notes – A truly ‘fatif-fying’ (satisfying) cinematic experience. Can’t ask for more.. ! Hats off to Vishal and Shahid!
Finally a request. Watch this film only in a theatre. Watching films on pirated DVD’s or downloading it from the internet is a crime. Remember, making of a movie involves a year or more of hard work and lots of money.
Do remember to come back and post your very own reviews after you watch the film.