With the boom of multiplexes, the life of films at theaters has reduced drastically. Gone are days when a film needed a silver jubilee (25 weeks) or a golden jubilee (50 weeks) to be considered a success. These days, most films are out of theaters in a week, yet recover their investment. Films that run longer though, go on to earn bucket loads of money and are termed money-spinners or blockbusters by the trade.
Below is a list of 5 such films, which are Bollywood’s biggest grossers ever! (Figures include collections from both overseas and India)
- Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (160 crores) – Rab Ne marked the return of Bollywood’s most famous actor-director jodi – SRK and Aditya Chopra. The film released just after the 26/11 attacks and film buffs came out in hordes, not just in India but overseas where SRK films always do well.
- My Name Is Khan (188 crores) – The Shahrukh Khan starrer underperformed in India, but was Bollywood’s biggest hit ever in the overseas market. The overseas collections of the film, just fell short of 100 crores.
- Ghajini (190 crores) – For a film that released in 2007, Ghajini is a box office monster! It was the first film to break the elusive 100 crore nett mark in India and the worldwide gross almost touched 200 crores!
- Dabangg (215 crores) – Salman always commanded a strong following in the B and C centers, and his films did great business on Single Screens. Multiplex was a different story though as films like Wanted and Veer failed to make any impact. Dabangg changed all that! Chulbul Pandey charmed audience world-wide and was Salman Khan’s biggest grosser ever!
- 3 Idiots (340 crores) – While 3 Idiots was expected to beat Ghajini, noone expected the film to almost double its collections. The collections were so strong and the repeat value so high, that 3 Idiots broke the Ghajini record in less than 2 weeks. Its undoubtedly the film to beat and we expect it to remain at Top 1 for quite a while. Maybe until Aamir Khan returns with Dhoom 3?
- The list is dominated by the three big Khan’s of the industry. Aamir has two films in Top 3 and the total of his two films world-wide is a mind boggling Rs 530 crores!
- Shahrukh Khan has two in Top 5 but what’s interesting to note is that, both of his films released during the ‘non-festive’ weekend. Of the other films – Dabangg released during Eid, 3 Idiots and Ghajini during Christmas.
- Salman’s Dabangg was a huge grosser. Will Ready make it to the Top 5 of Bollywood’s Biggest Grossers?
What do you think of the list? Comments below