Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, two of the most good-looking actors in Bollywood come together in Rajkumar Santoshi’s Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani. Santoshi in an interview promised a Laurel-Hardy kinda comedy, something that would appeal to the masses and classes, a movie that would be universally accepted, much like his cult classic Andaaz Apna Apna which released over a decade ago. Can Santoshi who has hard-hitting critically acclaimed films to his credit, recreate the AAA magic?
The movie is about Prem (Ranbir Kapoor) and Jennifer (Katrina Kaif). Prem is the president of ‘Happy Club’ which has a few simple rules – be happy, make others happy, unite couples – but its these very rules that test Prem when he eventually falls head over heels in love with Jennifer.
Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani Review
Here’s what we liked about Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
- If there is one reason why Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani is worth a watch, it has to be the brilliance of Ranbir Kappor. Surrounded by mediocrity and unnecessary madness, Ranbir stands tall in yet another fabulous performance. Undoubtedly, the future ‘superstar’ of Bollywood!
- Some well written scenes (mentioned below) make the movie, a good one time watch.
- Katrina Kaif adds immense value to the movie, purely by her screen presence and stunning looks. Its hard to take your eyes off her, due to which you manage to sit through those 2 – 3 song and dance numbers in the second half.
- Supporting characters do well.
- The chemistry between Katrina and Ranbir was excellent.
- Tere Hone Laga Hoon was by far the best soundtrack in the movie.
Sequences that deserve a mention
- When Katrina invites Ranbir to be her dance partner and the sequences that follow with her chosen-by-parents groom are hilarious. Slightly over the top, with Ranbir dancing all the way through with weird expressions, but funny nonetheless.
- When the jobless Ranbir takes up a job in a sweets shop to impress Katrina.
- Those broken English dialogue scenes were nice, again credit to Ranbir’s fantastic dialogue delivery.
- When Ranbir’s mother, in an effort to stop his father from entering the bathroom, flirts with her husband.
- Govind Namdeo’s introductory scene which includes that funny ringtone of his assistant.
- Last but not the least, when Salman Khan (as himself) makes a dashing special appearance. The girlfriend – yours or mine talk – is sure to bring the house down.
Why we don’t recommend a trip to theaters.
- What starts off as a light-hearted romantic movie, turns ugly in the second half with slapstick – Priyadashan style comedy.
- The romance between Ranbir and Katrina almost works, but the addition of 2 unnecessary characters into Katrina’s life somewhat ruins it.
- Like most madcap comedies in the recent past, Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahani lacks a coherent storyline.
- Upen Patel is a non-actor, even in those 10 odd minutes of screen time, he irritates.
- Ideally Ajab Premki should have been a good 30 mins shorter. Blame those songs, all of which are badly placed.
Overall, Ajab Prem KI Ghazab Kahani belongs to Ranbir Kapoor and to a certain extent Katrina Kaif. The first half is good but its those post-interval portions that prove to be a major let down. Wait for the DVD.Rating:
Seen the movie? Do post in your Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani Reviews below.